Now that you’re all moved in and enjoying the year, take a little time to get to know your roommate. Whether you’re best friends by now or still trying to get past that initial awkward phase, here are 5 tips for getting to know your roommate better so you can avoid any potential conflicts:
- Talk to your roommate. It’s hard to build friendships, or any relationship, without open communication. Talk to each other directly and frankly. Passive aggressive post-it notes never help solve an issue.
- Set boundaries. Remember when you filled out your Roommate Agreement? Use this as a guide to help you work through any issues that might arise during the year.
- Be willing to compromise. Be willing to work out any issues and find some common ground. If you need help compromising, talk to your RA or RD. They’re always willing to mediate for help see your issue from a different point-of-view.
- Find time to hang out. Whether it’s a movie, coffee or attending a hall event, it’s easier to get to know your roommate if you make time for each other.
- Be positive and friendly. A positive attitude goes a long way when getting to know your roommate and other NC State students. Life is short. Be happy.