Community Standards

Living in a residential community is an exciting experience but it also comes with some guidelines to ensure a safe and productive learning community. These policies complement but do not replace NC State’s Policies, Regulations, and Rules (PRR); the Code of Student Conduct; Raleigh laws; state laws; and federal laws. Additional university-wide COVID Community Standards are in place for the 2020-2021 academic year, or until revised or rescinded by NC State senior administration.

Visitation Policy

A “visitor” is defined as a guest present in a particular residence hall, apartment, or residence hall room with the consent of a hosting resident of that hall, apartment, or room. While in a residence hall in which they do not reside, a visitor must be escorted by the resident host at all times. Residents are responsible for ensuring that visitors comply with all residence hall and apartment policies and will be held accountable for the behavior of their visitors. Visitors are expected to conduct themselves in a considerate manner with regard to the rights and needs of roommates and other residents. Visitors may be hosted in designated common areas at any time.

A resident should consult with roommate(s) or apartmentmate(s) before inviting a visitor to their space and should have approval from the roommate(s) for all visitors.

Effective beginning the Spring 2021 semester:

Residents in Residence Halls, Wolf Ridge, and Wolf Village apartments are permitted ONE  (1) visitor to their assigned space at a time. Residents in E. S. King Village and Western Manor are permitted one visitor per resident assigned to a unit with a housing agreement. 

Face coverings must be worn in your room or apartment when others are in your space and all individuals should practice physical distancing (stay at least 6 feet away from others).  Residents must comply with all NC State limitations and protocols for gatherings on campus.

All residence halls and apartment complexes have 24-hour visitation.  Residents may permit a visitor to remain in their room overnight only if that resident’s roommate(s) has no objection. No visitors may be an overnight guest for more than three (3) consecutive nights or for more than ten (10) nights total during the academic year. 

Prior to hosting an overnight guest, residents should complete a roommate agreement and discuss visitation. Residents may choose to be more restrictive than 24-hour visitation for their individual spaces through Roommate Agreements. Roommate Agreements may be amended as needed with the agreement of each resident. If there are problems, it is the responsibility of the roommate who is concerned with the situation to enlist the aid of the University Housing staff to assist in resolving the problem.  

For additional information on the visitation policy, visit the NC State policies website.


Read our submit publicity page for information about posting flyers and posters in our residence halls and apartments. To post in public areas outside the residential facilities, attach posters to display panels and bulletin boards only. Displaying any material on the exterior of the buildings, trees, light posts, or other surfaces not specifically designated as a poster display area, is not allowed. All exterior advertisement must follow the University Regulation for Painting, Chalking, Posters, and Temporary Outdoor Signs (Reg. 11.55.4).

Alcohol and Beverage Container Rules

For those younger than 21 years of age, North Carolina state law forbids you to possess or consume alcoholic beverages. For those 21 years or older, the possession and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages is permitted in one’s own room or the room of another person who is of legal drinking age with the consent of the other person. The consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited in the common areas of University Housing facilities, including, but not limited to, hallways, stairwells, elevators, and courtyards. Possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages by those 21 and older is prohibited in the rooms/apartments of persons under the age of 21. Collection or display of alcohol containers will not be permitted in student rooms, suites or apartments. Residents of legal drinking age, who choose to consume alcohol, must dispose of their empty alcohol containers in a timely and appropriate manner. Kegs, empty kegs, and party balls are prohibited. Use of student fees for purchasing alcohol is prohibited, consistent with state law. The sale of alcohol on university property is prohibited. Please check the University Alcohol Policy for further information.

The following communities are predominately alcohol-free:

  • Bagwell Hall
  • Becton Hall
  • Bowen Hall
  • Berry Hall
  • Carroll Hall
  • Gold Hall
  • Lee Hall
  • Metcalf Hall
  • Owen Hall
  • Sullivan Hall
  • Syme Hall
  • Tucker Hall
  • Turlington Hall
  • Welch Hall
  • Wood Hall


Because of fire and safety standards, only UL listed and approved coffee makers, popcorn poppers, toaster ovens, dehumidifiers, induction cooking surfaces, instantpots, and George Foreman-type grills may be used in resident rooms or apartments. Toasters are permitted in the kitchens in University Apartments. To prevent fires, never leave food unattended while cooking. The University Fire Marshall recommends that fire-safe mats should be used under toasters/toaster ovens, induction cooking surfaces, instantpots, rice cookers and as a precaution under curling irons/straighteners/flattening irons. These mats can be either fabric based padded mats or silicone based fire-safe mats.

Common Space

Space outside the interior of one’s assigned room is considered common space and is maintained by University Housing. Signs, decorations, or other materials are not permitted on common space walls, the exterior of windows, or common access doors, such as suite doors. Students may post signs or decorations on their own room doors using non-damaging adhesive. Furniture in common space is provided for the comfort and convenience of all residents and should remain in the common space.

COVID-19 Community Standards

In addition to the normal Community Standards, please be sure to read the university’s COVID-19 Community Standards.

Damage and Vandalism Charges

Residents who are responsible for accidental damages and vandalism to residential furnishings, structures or equipment will be charged the appropriate labor and material for the expenses incurred. This includes vandalism of state property. Residents should not interfere or tamper with safety and security systems. Charges for loss or damages, which cannot be assessed to a particular individual, will be charged to the responsible residential unit (floor, suite or apartment).

  • Out of consideration for others and because of the potential for damage to people and property, the following behaviors are prohibited: throwing or dropping any object from a balcony, breezeway, window or roof; and propping exterior building doors.
  • Residents are not permitted to engage in hall sports like frisbee, golf, soccer, riding skateboards or bikes, etc. within the buildings.
  • Because of safety concerns, all common areas must be kept free from clutter and objects (bicycles, trash cans, boxes, etc.) that could interfere with a passage from the building during an emergency.

Disciplinary Procedures

Visit the university’s PRR for a full explanation of University Housing’s disciplinary procedures.

Drug Rule

University Housing does not tolerate the use, possession, trafficking, paraphernalia or manufacturing of illegal drugs in any campus residential facility. Alleged drug violations result in an Office of Student Conduct hearing which may lead to sanctions including removal from campus housing. Drug violation sanctions are in keeping with the university’s educational mission. Any resident removed from University Housing related to a drug violation will be responsible for payment of the remainder of the current term’s costs as specified in the housing agreement. After one year, residents may request a review of their eviction status and possibly return to living in campus housing.

Fire Safety

Residential buildings are equipped with state-of-the-art smoke detection and fire suppression systems that are linked to Campus Police. All residence halls and most of our apartment facilities are made of concrete and steel construction. Fire drills are conducted twice each semester to test the fire safety equipment and to give residents practice in responding to an alarm. Residents are always required to leave the building and the immediate area around the building for the duration of all fire alarms.

Because some actions endanger the safety of the residential community, residents involved in any of the following behaviors are subject to disciplinary action: falsely reporting a fire, bomb threat, or serious injury; activating a fire alarm when no fire is evident; setting a fire; possessing or using flammable or highly combustible materials; tampering with or misusing (whether accidental or intentional) any fire or safety equipment; failure to vacate the building when a fire alarm sounds. Residents are asked to report all problems concerning fire and safety equipment to a University Housing staff member immediately.

Hall Closings

Beginning Fall 2019, all residence halls remain open during Thanksgiving and Spring Break but close during winter break. Wolf Village and Wolf Ridge remain open during winter break. Wolf Village, Wolf Ridge, ES King Village, and Western Manor apartments remain open during winter break.

Winter break closing steps

  • Defrost and clean refrigerator
  • Unplug everything except refrigerator and fish tank (if applicable)
  • Remove all seasonal decorations
  • Turn off all faucets
  • Close blinds and shades
  • Do not store mopeds or motorcycles in room, suite, or hallway
  • Empty all garbage
  • Take all valuables
  • Turn off all lights (overhead, desk, mirror)
  • Lock room doors

Please note: The heat will be turned off during extended breaks, except in open halls.

Heating and Cooling Systems

Your comfort is very important to us. Submit an online work order if your heating and cooling system does not seem to be working. Our maintenance staff will respond as quickly as possible to identify and correct the issue. Every room in the residence halls is served by a fan coil unit that allows the residents in that room to select their own temperature. The apartment style communities have one thermostat for the apartment that serves everyone in that apartment. In an effort to be as energy efficient as possible, the majority of these systems provide heating any time it is cold outdoors and cooling any time it is warm outdoors. Avent Ferry and North Halls have systems that allow the residents to select heating or cooling regardless of the outdoor temperature.

Building heating systems are lowered during Winter Break to save energy.

NC State’s residence halls, Wolf Village and Wolf Ridge apartments are constructed using concrete, masonry, and steel.”. This type of construction is sometimes susceptible to condensation and mildew issues. Therefore, we ask you to take the following steps to help control moisture in your room:

  • Keep bathroom windows and doors closed when not in use. Bathrooms contain exhaust fans that pull air from throughout the living space. When windows and doors are left open, outside air is pulled in, adding extra humidity to an already damp room.
  • Keep bedroom doors closed. Leaving bedroom doors open forces the fan unit to work harder to cool or heat outside air from the hallway and bathroom. Keeping doors closed makes it easier for your unit to heat and cool the room.
  • Avoid setting thermostats at the extremes. Excessive cold or heat forces the system to work overtime. If you feel your living area is not hot enough or cold enough for your comfort, adjust the thermostat in small increments. Minor adjustments have just as big an impact as large temperature swings.
  • Keep it in the middle. Set your thermostat to the center when you are not in the room. Heating or cooling an empty room is wasteful and unnecessary. This especially applies during times of above normal heat or below normal cold.


University Housekeeping, a department within NC State Facilities Operations, is responsible for the proper maintenance and appearance of all residence hall and apartment public areas, such as lounges, halls, suite and corridor bathrooms and stairwells. Residents are responsible for the cleanliness of their rooms.

Residents who live in buildings with hall or suite bathrooms should store the following items in their room to assist with the cleaning schedule of our housekeepers: soap, shampoo, toothbrushes, and other personal items.

Residents who live in Wolf Village and Wolf Ridge will receive deep cleaning once a semester for the kitchen, living room, and bathrooms in each apartment. Residents will receive prior notification of when deep cleaning will occur and how to prepare their spaces.

Residents are also responsible for placing their trash in the nearest dumpster and recycling items in the nearest recycle bin. Storing trash along breezeways is not permitted.


Residents are asked to separate their recyclable materials (glass, plastic bottles, aluminum cans, paper, and newspapers), and deposit them in the recycling bins located outside of the buildings. Learn more about what you can recycle by clicking here.


Composting is available in some of our communities across campus. Residents who choose to participate in our composting program are given composting bins and instructions on proper disposal. Talk with a staff member in your community to see if composting is available.

Keys and Access Devices

When you check into your residence hall or apartment, you will receive keys that allow you appropriate access to your room and mailbox. Areas in buildings with electronic access systems, your Campus ID Card will be activated to allow access. All exterior entrances to buildings are kept locked for security purposes.

For your own security:

  • Lock your door whenever you leave your room or apartment and carry your keys at all times. Duplicating, lending or borrowing room or building keys is prohibited.
  • Do not prop open exterior doors. If you discover that an exterior door is propped open, shut it or seek assistance from a staff member if the door is not closing appropriately.
  • Do not allow guests into residence halls or apartments unless they are your guest.
  • Do not give your key(s) and/or access devices (e.g. ID cards, building fobs, etc.) to anyone else.

The Code of Student Conduct addresses other safety issues including the following:

  • Unauthorized entry to a restricted, locked, or closed building space, or entry into a building when closed for a university break;
  • Failure to provide proper ID when requested to do so by a residence hall/apartment staff member acting in the performance of his/her duties;
  • Vandalizing any university property; interfering or tampering with safety/security systems


If you live in the residence halls, please use community kitchens rather than your room for cooking. Always remember to clean up after yourself. When cooking in the kitchen, never leave food unattended. For grease fires, remove items from heat and cover the fire to smother the flames. Do not use water to put out a grease fire. Dishes should be cleaned and stored to avoid unwanted pests.


Laundry facilities are located in each residence hall and apartment complex. Wolf Village Apartments have laundry facilities within each apartment. Laundry fees are included in your housing payment.



Loftable Beds

All residence hall rooms have loftable bed furniture. No additional loft kits are needed. Rooms in North Hall have beds which can be raised or bunked, but they are not loftable in the traditional sense.

Mail and Packages

Mail and parcels sent through the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) to NC State University halls are delivered daily Monday through Friday, except during holidays and student breaks. USPS delivers mail to the NC State Campus Mail Center, where it is then distributed throughout campus. However, USPS delivers mail directly to Wolf Village, Wolf Ridge, E.S. King Village, and Western Manor Apartments. Residents are required to bring any mail not addressed to you to either to your service desk or deposited into the misdirected mailbox for return.

Outgoing domestic mail placed in the U.S. Mail slot located near the residence hall or apartment mailboxes is picked up daily. USPS mailboxes are also located near Poe Hall. Stamps are available for sale near student service desks and at the bookstore.

Check our mail and packages page for all the details on addressing mail and packages to residents.


Division of Academic and Student Affairs (DASA) and NC State Facilities Operations share responsibility for maintenance services. Work order requests should be submitted by residents through our online work order system. Do not use the online work request system to report emergency issues like flooding, sparking electric outlet, etc. Report these situations immediately to the student service desk or RA on Duty. If you have maintenance issues with internet or cable television, please contact OIT directly.

University Housing and DASA Facilities staff members may need to enter your room for routine or emergency repairs at any time.

Pest Control

All common areas are treated at quarterly for pests. If you have a pest problem, submit an online work order or contact your Student Service Desk. A pest control professional will treat your room as soon as possible.

If you suspect bed bugs have entered your space, immediately read our bed bug information page for detailed information.


Pets are not permitted in any residential buildings, except fish in properly maintained, clean aquariums, maximum not to exceed ten gallons total capacity per person per room. If a pet is found in a residential facility, the animal should be removed and the resident is responsible for all damages the animal may have caused. Service animals and emotional support animals are permitted in residential facilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Fair Housing Act. Residents should first register their assistance animal with the NC State Disability Resources Office and complete the University Housing registration form located on the University Housing website. Please read the policy regarding Service and Emotional Support Animals.

Photograph and Publicity Release

Residents of University Housing give NC State permission to record their participation and appearance on videotape, audiotape, film photograph or any other medium; use the resident’s name, likeness, voice and biographical material in connection with such recordings; exhibit or distribute such recordings in whole or in part without restrictions or limitation for any legal purpose, including educational or promotional purposes, which NC State deems appropriate. NC State can copyright images and recordings in its own name to publish, to market, and to assign without consideration, compensation or report to the student. The full release can be viewed on the University Brand website.

Prohibited Items

  • Illegal drugs
  • Pets other than fish (10-gallon tank limit per person)
  • Dartboards
  • Waterbeds
  • Weapons
  • Extension cords
  • Air conditioners
  • Lava Lamps
  • Ceiling fans/lights
  • Burners or hot plates
  • Toasters (allowed in apartments only)
  • Heaters
  • Fireworks
  • Explosives or unsafe chemicals
  • Candles and incense
  • Halogen lamps (any model or style)
  • Gasoline, kerosene, etc.
  • Hoverboards, electric scooters, electric skateboards, or similar devices

Quiet Hours

  • Sunday through Thursday: 8:00 p.m. – 8:00 a.m.
  • Friday through Saturday: 12:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
  • Courtesy Hours: 24 hours a day
  • Final Exam Period: 24 hours a day

It is your right, as well as your responsibility, to let offenders know if their activity is too loud and interrupts your studying or sleep. Stereos, radios, TVs, musical instruments and conversations must be kept to reasonable levels that will not interfere with the study or sleep of other residents. Hall councils have the option to establish more restrictive quiet hours for their buildings. Those hours will not be less restrictive than those listed here. In the event that a hall declines to establish more restrictive quiet hours, the hours listed above will be in effect. These hours recognize the rights of all residents to have an environment which supports academic success.

Any amplified sound or other noise reaching beyond the limits of an individual room is considered an infringement on others’ personal space and may be addressed through the disciplinary process. Quiet hours and a 24-hour courtesy policy are practiced to support this philosophy. If you encounter a noise problem, bring it to the attention of the offender. If the problem persists, contact your RA or the RA on Duty. Periodically, Hall Council-sanctioned activities (indoor or outdoor) may receive an exception from the quiet hours guidelines with prior approval from University Housing staff members.

Room Decorating

Residents are encouraged to make their residence hall or apartment rooms a home away from home. Add your personal design touches to create a place to study and live comfortably. Follow these guidelines to keep you and your belongings safe:

  • All carpet, furniture and other miscellaneous personal items used in the buildings should be fire retardant.
  • Candles are not permitted in student rooms unless they are battery operated LED candles.
  • Wood paneling, particle board, room partitions, and decorations (such as parachutes, fishnets, ceiling fans and an excessive number of posters) are not allowed.
  • Extension cords are not permitted; instead, power strips with built-in circuit breakers are recommended.
  • No furniture or decorations should inhibit entry or exit in any manner.
  • Room furnishings may only be used in ways appropriate to their construction.
  • Decorations should not cover more than 75% of the wall space in any hallway.
  • Spray paint or aerosol may not be used inside campus residences.
  • Decorations may not attach to or hang from room ceilings, lights, or pipes.
  • Artificial holiday trees are permitted in the room but live holiday trees are not permitted.
  • Decorative LED holiday lights are permitted.

Street Signs

Removal of signs from University property and city, county or state property poses a potential safety hazard for citizens. Possessing these signs constitutes theft. University Housing staff who see these signs in your room will either ask you to take your signs to NC State Transportation and/or will notify Campus Police that you possess these signs. You will have 24 hours to return the signs, usually with no penalty. Failure to return the signs will result in the issue of a Campus Appearance Ticket and judicial procedures.

Roommate Relationships

All residents are expected to complete the University Housing Roommate Agreement, Suitemate Agreement or Apartment Agreement as appropriate. This mandatory agreement between roommates, suitemates or apartment mates ensures that each individual’s rights are respected and that roommates have discussed their expectations while sharing a room. Clarifying expectations, for example, a time preference for lights out or how to share refrigerator space, talking about concerns before they develop into conflict, and being willing to compromise help pave the way for successful relationships. This agreement is by no means all-inclusive, but it can assist in establishing expectations. Individuals in the room, suite or apartment discuss each section and develop guidelines that all can agree on and live with. Once completed, the terms of the agreement can be renegotiated at any time during the year with the assistance of the RA. Feel free to ask your RA for assistance if needed.

Steps to Resolve Roommate Conflict

  1. Speak to your roommate, suitemate or apartment mate directly. Review and discuss the Roommate, Suite or Apartment Agreement that was completed. State issues neutrally. Relate and discuss feelings and then offer resolutions. Be prepared to listen and to compromise.
  2. Ask your RA to intervene by meeting with you and the other person(s) involved. In their role as a neutral mediator, the RA will try to help you resolve the problem.
  3. Roommates, suitemates or apartment mates may ask a Residence Life Coordinator (RLC), Graduate Assistant (GA), or Assistant Director to serve as the arbitrator in resolving the conflict. Individuals may be asked to sign additional behavior or room, suite or apartment environment contracts. If agreements cannot be reached, room changes may be arranged.

Roommate Rights and Responsibilities

As an NC State campus community member, you have a responsibility to maintain the following rights:

  • The right to live in a clean environment.
  • The right to personal privacy.
  • The right to sleep with as little disturbance as possible.
  • The right to have your personal belongings respected.
  • The right to free access to your room and facilities without interference.
  • The right to study which supersedes the right to have guests.
  • The right to have guests.
  • The right to veto a roommate, suitemate or apartment mate’s guest(s) for justifiable reasons.
  • The right to be free of intimidation and physical harm.
  • The right to seek reasonable cooperation from your roommate, suitemates or apartment mates.
  • The right to speak out openly and constructively about ideas, opinions, and grievances.

Safety Inspections

University Housing asks Environmental Health and Safety’s Fire and Life Safety to conduct periodic inspections in student rooms throughout the year. The inspections will include a check of areas such as electrical, heating and cooling appliances, combustibles, housekeeping, health hazards and pest control. All appliances must be UL listed and approved. Violations should be corrected within a 24- hour period and follow-up inspections will be conducted to determine if corrective action has been taken. Failure to correct safety violations will result in disciplinary action.

Smoking Rule

Per North Carolina state law, all residential facilities (including E.S. King Village and Western Manor Apartments) are smoke-free spaces. Smoking and vaping, including e-cigarette devices, is prohibited within 25-feet of any residence hall/apartment building. The university community shares the responsibility for adhering to and enforcing the smoking policy.


Residents of University Housing facilities are not permitted to use their rooms for commercial solicitation, to have product demonstrations or parties, to advertise their room number for sales purposes, or to regularly conduct a business from their rooms per the University Solicitation Regulation (Reg. 7.25.12).

Weapons and Combustibles

Residents may not, for any reason, bring into the residence halls or apartments any weapon for use, possession or storage. This includes, but is not limited to firearms (including rifles); ammunition (bullets, shells, etc.); projectile devices (such as bows and arrows); blades (such as swords, switchblades or knives with a blade longer than 5″); or other such devices perceived as weapons. Pepper spray is allowed provided it is used solely in a defensive manner.

Weapons, fireworks, and explosives are not permitted in residential facilities. Residents may not possess any fireworks, sparklers, combustible/explosive material, hazardous chemicals, or flammable liquids.

Candles, gas/oil lanterns, or any device producing open flames (such as incense and Sterno) are not permitted. Residents who wish to burn incense for religious reasons need to get approval from their Assistant Director and Residence Life Coordinator.

National studies have shown that torchiere-style halogen lamps present a significant risk of starting fires. As a result, these lamps are not permitted in residential rooms.