Room change requests are not available any sooner than the first two weeks at the start of each academic semester. This allows University Housing ample time to confirm occupancy in all of our spaces and identify where vacancies exist for room changes to occur.
While in the past we have been able to offer a bit more flexibility with the room change process, in light of COVID-19, we have amended this process to work to promote the health and safety of all residents.
- Roommate Agreement – The roommate agreement is an online form used to help encourage communication between residents in the same living space. While components of this agreement are specific to COVID response, many encourage individuals to think about how they want to live and share space with others. This is introduced in our community gatherings at the start of the academic year, completed by the roommates/apartment-mates and submitted electronically, and are re-evaluated throughout the semester. We encourage open, honest communication with those completing this form to help alleviate concerns that may arise later on in the semester.
- Roommate Mediation – Mediations may occur when roommate/apartment-mates are having difficulty navigating their living environment and need to have a Housing staff member facilitate a conversation. This may be with your Resident Advisor, your Graduate Assistant, Residence Life, your Residence Life Coordinator, or the Assistant Director for your residential area. The Housing staff member serves as a neutral mediator to help navigate concerns that have come up and seek to help the residents find a compromise and improve their living environment. Please note that this step is required in order to be able to submit a room change request.
For the 2021-2022 academic year, room changes will only be considered on a limited basis and based on the reasons listed below.
Room change requests for the Fall 2021 semester will be accepted beginning at 9 a.m. Monday, August 30.
Room Change Considerations
- Disability Resource Office (DRO) approved medical needs that are not being met in your current assignment.
- Room change is required as a result of a student conduct process.
- Major facility issues that cannot be resolved within 1-2 business day(s).
- Person for person changes when all individuals involved agree to the change.
- Incidents which may infringe on or violate a resident’s sense of safety and rights.
Room Change Process
The process for completing a room change request is as follows:
- First, complete the room change request form on the housing self-service page via MyPack Portal.
- Once in the housing system, click on the Manage My Housing link, select Room Change and follow the instructions.
- You will then receive a meeting request from a Residence Life staff member within three business days of completing your online request.
- A mediated roommate conversation will be facilitated by the RA to review the roommate agreement, concerns and develop mutually agreed upon expectations moving forward. Please note that a mediated conversation will be required in advance of approving a room change request, with very few exceptions.
- A timeline will be set by the RA and roommates to allow roommates to adjust to and implement expectations agreed upon in the mediation.
- If, once this timeline has lapsed, there is not a change in behavior or expectations, roommates can request to meet with their Graduate Assistant or Residence Life Coordinator, who will approve or deny your room change request. Approvals are not guaranteed and may not be approved immediately.
- If your request is approved, you will be contacted by a member of the Assignments staff in the University Housing office to discuss room change options.
Moving into a Fraternity or Sorority House
Fraternities or Sororities with vacancies in their home would be able to accept residents who wish to transfer to the Greek Village. All room changes for FALL semester should be requested no later than October 1. No new members will be moved into the chapter house until the spring semester. For SPRING semester, room changes should be requested no later than November 1. You will be able to check out of the residence hall prior to leaving for winter break. Transfer requests during SPRING will not be honored after April 1. The ability to transfer is limited to on-campus properties, and further limited to those chapter homes that have a resident staff member and approved food service.
- First, complete the room change request form on the housing self-service page via MyPack Portal. Click on the room change link and follow the instructions. You will then receive a meeting request from your Graduate Assistant, Residence Life or Residence Life Coordinator within three business days of completing your online request.
- University Housing will confirm you are approved to move into a chapter house with Fraternity and Sorority Life. Please make sure your chapter has shared information with them.
- The Houses listed below are NOT eligible for first year students:
- Alpha Gamma Rho – 1402 Varsity Drive, Raleigh, NC 27606
- Theta Chi – 2709-A Fraternity Court, Raleigh, NC 27606
- Kappa Alpha – 2511 Fraternity Court, Raleigh, NC 27606
- The Privately-owned houses listed below are not eligible for the room change process and are not eligible for first year students. Upper-class students wishing to move into the houses below will need to request to cancel housing and will be subject to a cancellation penalty.
- Alpha Sigma Phi- 1526 Tryon Road, Raleigh, NC 27603
- Chi Omega- 3412 Greek Way, Raleigh NC, 27606
- FarmHouse- 115 Park Avenue, Raleigh NC, 27605
- Phi Delta Theta- 18 Horne Street, Raleigh NC, 27607
- Sigma Pi- 3408 Greek Way, Raleigh, NC 27606
- Theta Chi – 3421 Avent Ferry Road, Raleigh NC, 27606
Once a student is approved by Fraternity and Sorority Life to live in a house in Greek Village, if there are any questions about the process, they can contact University Housing at 919.515.2440 or email@example.com. It is important to note that a student could be held accountable for rents with both groups if they fail to complete the process/check out properly.