Room Changes

Room Changes

Room change requests are not available any sooner than the first two weeks at the start of each academic semester. This allows University Housing ample time to confirm occupancy in all of our spaces and identify where vacancies exist for room changes to occur.  

The deadline to request a room change for the spring is February 19, 2021.

While in the past we have been able to offer a bit more flexibility with the room change process, in light of COVID-19, we have amended this process to work to promote the health and safety of all residents.  

  • Roommate Agreement – The roommate agreement is an online form used to help encourage communication between family units. While components of this agreement are specific to COVID response, many encourage individuals to think about how they want to live and share space with others. This is introduced in our community gatherings at the start of the academic year, completed by the roommates/apartment-mates and submitted electronically, and are re-evaluated halfway through the semester.  We encourage open, honest communication with those completing this form to help alleviate concerns that may arise later on in the semester.
  • Roommate Mediation – Mediations may occur when roommate/apartment-mates are having difficulty navigating their living environment and need to have a Housing staff member facilitate a conversation. This may be with your Resident Advisor, your Graduate Assistant, Residence Life, your Residence Life Coordinator, or the Assistant Director for your residential area.  The Housing staff member serves as a neutral mediator to help navigate concerns that have come up and seek to help the residents find a compromise and improve their living environment.  Please note that this step is required in order to be able to submit a room change request.

For the 2020-2021 academic year, room changes will only be considered on a limited basis and based on the reasons listed below.

Room Change Considerations

  • Disability Resource Offices (DRO) approved medical needs that are not being met in your current assignment.
  • Room change is required as a result of a student conduct process.
  • Major facility issues that cannot be resolved within 1-2 business day(s) 
  • A situation where someone fails to adhere to safety precautions related to COVID-19.  Safety precautions include but are not limited to wearing face masks, approved limited visitors in the room, not adhering to appropriate hand washing, etc.  Roommate mediation is required first and could result in a referral to student conduct.
  • Person for person changes when all individuals involved agree to the change.
  • Incidents which may infringe on or violate a resident’s sense of safety and rights, such as alleged Title IX or bias-related offenses that may be referred to the Office of Student Conduct and/or OIED.

Room Change Process

The process for completing a room change request is as follows:

  • First, complete the room change request form on the housing self-service page via MyPack Portal
    • Once in the housing system, click on the Manage My Housing link, select Room Change and follow the instructions. 
    • You will then receive a meeting request from your Graduate Assistant, Residence Life or Residence Life Coordinator within three business days of completing your online request.
  • A mediated roommate conversation will be facilitated by the RA to review the roommate agreement, concerns and develop mutually agreed upon expectations moving forward. Please note that a mediated conversation will be required in advance of approving a room change request, with very few exceptions. 
  • A timeline will be set by the RA and roommates to allow roommates to adjust to and implement expectations agreed upon in the mediation.
  • If, once this timeline has lapsed, there is not a change in behavior or expectations, roommates can request to meet with your Graduate Assistant or Residence Life Coordinator, they will approve or deny your room change request.  Approvals are not guaranteed and may not be approved immediately.
  • If your request is approved, you will be contacted by a member of the Assignments staff in the University Housing office to discuss room change options.

Moving into a Fraternity or Sorority House

Fraternities or Sororities with vacancies in their home would be able to accept residents who wish to transfer to the Greek Village.  Due to limited inventory, vacancies would need to be evaluated to determine if they could accommodate DRO medical needs, if necessary. All room changes for FALL semester should be requested no later than October 1.  For SPRING semester, we encourage residents to complete this process in time to check out of the residence hall prior to leaving for winter break. Transfer requests during SPRING will not be honored after April 1.  The ability to transfer is limited to on-campus properties, and further limited to those chapter homes that have a resident staff member and approved food service.  

  • First, complete the room change request form on the housing self-service page via MyPack Portal. Click on the room change link and follow the instructions. You will then receive a meeting request from your Graduate Assistant, Residence Life or Residence Life Coordinator within three business days of completing your online request.
  • University Housing will confirm you are approved to move into a chapter house with Fraternity and Sorority Life.  Please make sure your chapter has shared information with them.
  • The University-owned houses listed below are not eligible for first year students:
    • Alpha Gamma Rho – 1402 Varsity Drive, Raleigh, NC 27606
    • Theta Chi – 2709-A Fraternity Court, Raleigh, NC 27606
    • Kappa Alpha 2511 Fraternity Court, Raleigh, NC 27606
  • The Privately-owned houses listed below are not eligible for the room change process and are not eligible for first year students.  Upper-class students wishing to move into the houses below will need to request to cancel housing and will be subject to a cancellation penalty.
    • Alpha Sigma Phi- 1526 Tryon Road, Raleigh, NC 27603
    • Chi Omega- 3412 Greek Way, Raleigh NC, 27606
    • FarmHouse- 115 Park Avenue, Raleigh NC, 27605
    • Phi Delta Theta- 18 Horne Street, Raleigh NC, 27607
    • Sigma Pi- 3408 Greek Way, Raleigh, NC 27606

Once a student is approved by Fraternity and Sorority Life to live in a house in Greek Village, if there are any questions about the process, they can contact University Housing at 919.515.2440 or  It is important to note that a student could be held accountable for rents with both groups if they fail to complete the process/check out properly.