Moving into your residence hall or apartment is an exciting time for both new and returning students. University Housing staff is here to help. We’ll do our very best to make the move-in process easy so you can settle into your new home as quickly as possible.
University Housing will implement a phased move-in process between July 31 and August 9 in order to minimize the number of residents and their assistants moving in at any single time. Please regularly review all email communication from University Housing for specific instructions.
Fall 2020 Student Move-In
Fall move-in will be held July 31 – August 9 by appointment only. Move-in appointments will occur in 3-hour blocks from 8 a.m. – 11 a.m., from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m., and from 2 p.m. – 5 p.m. each day. This move-in process is for all (new or returning) residents living in residence halls, Wolf Village, Wolf Ridge, ES King Village, and Western Manor Apartments. An email containing move-in information and instructions will be sent to all residents on July 7.
Sign up for a move-in appointment by going to MyPack Portal and accessing your housing assignment under the Campus Living section.
- Log into MyPack Portal
- Access your housing assignment (found under Campus Living, Housing Student Self Service)
- From your housing application, select Manage My Housing which is located in the red navigation bar
- Select Fall Move-in Appointments
- Hit the Save and Continue Button
- Select your desired Move-in Appointment time slot
- Once you select your appointment, you will be asked to confirm it
- Once you confirm your appointment, you will receive a confirmation email sent to your ncsu.edu email address
Note: You may edit your move-in appointment up until 24-hours prior to your scheduled appointment time.
- Make sure to bring a Photo ID (NC State student ID, driver’s licence, or passport), which you will need for Check-in. New students are reminded to pick up their Wolfpack OneCard (student ID) from Stafford Commons, located just outside Talley Student Union, prior to 5:00 p.m. on their move-in day!
- Residents are asked to limit the number of people coming with you to assist with move-in to no more than two (2) people.
- Masks and other CDC recommendations (frequent hand-washing, etc.) will be expected during the move-in process. Face coverings are currently required by Executive Order for all public spaces. Note that wearing of face coverings (masks) is required on NC State’s campus for all students, staff, faculty, and visitors effective July 1, 2020 and continuing through at least the Fall semester.
- Note for University Towers residents: Please consult with University Towers management for specific check-in information. This is a privately owned property and as such, has specific traffic, parking and move-in information.
This page will be updated throughout the summer with additional details related to the move-in process. Be sure to check back as you plan your arrival to campus.
- Plan travel time in order to arrive, check-in, and move your belongings into your room within your 3-hour appointment slot.
- Follow instructions as outlined by NC State Transportation to access campus. Don’t trust your GPS! (See the Plan Your Route section below for details!)
- Park temporarily in designated unloading areas for your building/community, following directions from on-site staff. In several areas, you will be asked to have someone remain with your vehicle or to unload and immediately move your vehicle to long-term parking.
- Residents should check in upon arrival at the designated location for their building, listed below. Upon check-in, you will be issued your room (and suite/apartment) keys and receive additional instructions. Residents will need their student ID (or another government-issued photo ID) to officially check-in and receive keys.
- While the resident is picking up their key, any move-in assistants accompanying the resident should begin to unload their vehicle. Note: In order to provide a contactless move-in experience, staff or volunteers will not be able to assist in unloading or moving personal items.
- As soon as your vehicle is unloaded, it must be moved to dedicated long-term parking areas. (See the Plan Your Route section below!)
- New students should pick up their student ID card prior to 5:00 p.m. on their arrival day from the Wolfpack OneCard office. Card office employees will be located on Stafford Commons, outside Talley Student Union, between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. each day during Move-in. A government-issued photo ID will be required to pick up your OneCard. Your student ID will be required for entry to your residence hall or apartment building beginning at 5:00 on your date of arrival.
- Alexander – Alexander Hall Basement Lounge (South entrance, on Cates Avenue)
- Avent Ferry Complex – Avent Ferry Service Desk (Swan Quarter Hall)
- Bagwell – Quad Commons building lobby (enter from Dunn Avenue)
- Berry – Quad Commons building lobby (enter from Dunn Avenue)
- Becton – Quad Commons building lobby (enter from Dunn Avenue)
- Bowen – Bowen Hall Lounge (North entrance)
- Bragaw – Bragaw Activity Room (enter from rear, facing Fountain / Lee Hall)
- Carroll – Carroll Hall Lounge (North entrance)
- Lee – Lee Hall Lobby
- Gold – Syme Hall Basement Lounge (North entrance, facing Kamphoefner)
- Metcalf – Metcalf Hall Lounge (North entrance)
- North – North Hall Lobby Lounge
- Owen – Holmes Hall Room 104 (enter from Cates Avenue)
- Syme – Syme Hall Basement Lounge (North entrance, facing Kamphoefner)
- Sullivan – Sullivan Hall Lobby (enter from Thurman Drive)
- Tucker – Holmes Hall Room 104 (enter from Cates Avenue)
- Turlington – Alexander Hall Basement Lounge (South entrance, on Cates Avenue)
- Watauga – North Hall Service Desk
- Welch – Syme Hall Basement Lounge (North entrance, facing Kamphoefner)
- Wood – Wood Hall Service Desk (Wood Building C)
- Wolf Village – Red Hall Lobby (Residents of Arctic, Baffin, Caspian, Red, and Timber) / Gray Hall Lobby (Residents of Mackenzie, Gray, and Hudson)
- Wolf Ridge – Wolf Ridge Service Desk (Tower Hall lobby entrance, inner courtyard, facing Plaza)
- ES King Village and Western Manor – ES King Village Service Desk (ES King Village Commons, 3824 Jackson Street)
- University Towers – University Towers Service Desk (enter from Hillsborough Street)
Plan Your Route to Campus
Plan your route to campus by printing and reviewing the placard with directions for your assigned residence hall/apartment available from NC State Transportation. Upon arrival to campus, place the placard in your front windshield.
Traffic patterns on and around campus will be adjusted on move-in days. Please review the placard you printed from Transportation for the directions to your assigned residence hall. Due to changes in traffic flow onto and around campus during move-in, we encourage you to use directions listed on your placard in lieu of GPS directions.
Reserved spaces are for unloading only. Once you have completed unloading, move your vehicle to the areas designated for long-term parking. Short-term parking in unloading areas should only be used during your designated move-in appointment slot. All vehicles should be moved prior to the end of your 3-hour time block. Long-term parking areas are listed on the move-in placard for each residential community and include the upper levels of the Coliseum Deck, Dan Allen Deck, West Lot or West Deck, and some portions of other residential lots.
Packing For Your Arrival
Check out our suggested packing list, make a copy for yourself, and use it to help you plan your packing. Before you go shopping, be sure to talk with your roommate and compare notes. Some items are better shared between roommates like coffee pots, curtains, lounge chairs, area rugs, etc. Here are some sustainable ideas from our friends at NC State’s Waste Reduction and Recycling department to save you money and room clutter. Remember, often less is more. Make your move-in (and move-out) experience easier by only bringing the essentials.
Pack using stackable containers, and label each container with your last name, building, and room number. This will be extremely helpful during the move-in process to ensure that your items make it to your room! Plastic bins are also great for storage, can serve as side-tables, and help protect belongings from the elements if you get caught in a summer shower during move-in. We also suggest bringing a small cart/hand-truck as well as a tarp to assist you with moving belongings and to help protect items in the event of rain during move-in.
Living and Learning Villages
There will not be any specific Village move-in days this year. Living and Learning Village members will follow the same move-in process as all other residents in 2020. Village residents will arrive over the course of 10 days, between July 31 and August 9 and should sign up for an available move-in appointment in their building (registration beginning in early July).
There will be no early arrivals for Fall 2020 since move-in will be by appointment between July 31 – August 9. If your involvement in an on-campus function (e.g.: band, athletics, etc.) requires arrival early, you are encouraged to sign up early for an appropriate move-in time slot.
Sustainable Move-in Information
Help NC State strive for zero waste by recycling right during Move In! Learn more at go.ncsu.edu/move-in-tips. Recycling containers will be located near each residential community. To help ease the amount of waste, you are encouraged to unpack bulky items at home, and repack using reusable containers.
For students that have materials to dispose of after move-in, simply follow the directional yard-signs to the dumpsters.
Some Important Tips:
- Flatten boxes and place in RECYCLING dumpsters. Remember to remove styrofoam!
- Recycling must be BAGLESS. Plastic bags are NOT allowed in recycling bins, carts, and dumpsters.
- Look for special recycling collection bins near dumpsters for styrofoam and plastic bags or plastic film.
- Questions about what can/cannot be recycled or composted on campus? Visit recycling.ncsu.edu