Living on campus is an essential part of the Wolfpack experience: that’s why students are required to live in University Housing their first year.
Refer to the schedule below to determine which semesters are required as part of the live-on requirement based upon the student’s admit term.
|Enrollment Term||Required On-Campus Semesters|
|Summer||Summer, Fall, Spring|
|Fall||Fall and Spring|
|Spring||Spring and Fall
Please note that the University Housing agreement is a full academic year agreement (fall and spring). Students who renew their housing for the fall to fulfill the second semester of the live-on requirement are then bound by the University Housing agreement for the following spring term, thus committing a student to a total of 3 semesters on campus (spring, fall, and the following spring).
First-year students who wish to request an exemption for summer, fall, or spring may complete an exemption request. Students may make an exemption request as soon as they are admitted to the university. Students who qualify for an exemption from the live-on requirement include:
- First-year students who are 21 years of age or older before the first day of classes
- First-year students who are 16 years of age or younger on the first day of classes
- Married or domestic partner – student must submit a copy of their marriage certificate.
- First-year students with dependents – student must submit a copy of the child’s birth certificate along with a copy of their most recent tax return listing the child(ren) as a dependent(s).
- Military veteran – student must submit a copy of their DD-214 discharge papers.
- Students who have lived on campus at NC State for 1 year or have completed a minimum of 2 semesters of coursework from a post-secondary institution. Students dually enrolled in high school and a college or university are not exempt from the first-year live-on requirement.
- Appeal for extenuating circumstances (see Appeals section)
- Beginning 2021-2022 – University Towers will no longer be a housing option for students and we will not approve New Freshman appeals to live in University Towers.
The university recognizes that some students may have unique circumstances that may be considered for an exemption from the live-on requirement. In a very limited number of cases, where students demonstrate that special circumstances exist which would create a substantial personal hardship, students may appeal the first-year live-on requirement. Appeals from the live-on requirement may include:
- A demonstrated financial hardship
- Medical / disability needs which cannot be accommodated in on-campus housing, as determined by NC State’s Disability Resources Office
- Religious requirements that prevent living on campus
- Students who live at their permanent residence, with their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), within a 15 mile driving radius of NC State’s main campus
Appeals to be released from the first year live on requirement are reviewed on a case-by-case basis by a committee. Submitting an appeal does not guarantee a release from the requirement. University Housing recommends that first-year students do not sign a lease or contract for off-campus living accommodations until after they are notified of the appeal decision.
The appeals committee may consult with other university departments including but not limited to Student Health Services, the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid, and the Office of International Students.
Decisions from the committee will be communicated in writing before the beginning of the student’s start term. All decisions of the committee will be final.
Appeals must be submitted according to the following schedule:
|Term||Exemption request deadline|
|Summer Session 1||May 1|
|Summer Session 2||June 1|
|Fall semester||June 15|
|Spring semester||November 15|
Procedure for reviewing exemption requests
- Students complete and submit the First-Year Live-On Requirement Appeal Form with proper documentation.
- University Housing will review all requests in a timely manner. Additional information may be requested from some applicants prior to a decision.
- First-year students requesting an exemption will be notified by email from University Housing regarding the exemption outcome.
- First-year students with an approved exemption will not be required to live on campus.
The exemption process is NOT intended for students who:
- Dislike their room, roommate, residence hall, apartment, or on-campus living in general. Please see our room change page for move requests.
- Have dietary concerns or special diet requirements that may be accommodated by NC State Dining
- Already signed a lease or rental agreement off campus
- Wish to live with a sibling, other relatives, or friend off campus
- Have family members who have purchased, leased or rented a home or condo close to campus
- Have a disability such as mobility, visual, hearing, or mental/emotional disabilities, or medical conditions such as asthma or allergies. For additional please refer to the Disability Resources Office (DRO).
How to Appeal
- Log into MyPack Portal using your NC State user ID and password.
- Select the Campus Living tile
- Select the link to access the Housing Portal
- Select Manage My Housing from the red navigation bar.
- Select Live-On Appeal Form