Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, on-campus activities and in-person instruction for the 2020 summer season have been canceled or moved to a virtual format. University Housing will not offer on-campus housing for Summer Start participants this year. The Summer Start 2020 program will be ONLINE ONLY during the second summer session. Find more information about important program dates on the Summer Start website or contact the New Student Programs office at 919.515.1234.
The Summer Start program assists incoming students with the transition to NC State through five weeks of academic courses and social activities on campus. Summer Start provides students with a jump-start on their college experience while introducing them to the culture of NC State.
Summer Start students enroll in up to eight credit hours of academic courses toward their specific major. Participants live on-campus, where evening and weekend programs are available to help develop skills important to the academic and personal success. These skills include:
Participants live on-campus, where evening and weekend programs are available to help develop skills important to the academic and personal success.
- communication skills
- study skills
- leadership skills
- research processes and procedures
- critical thinking skills
- time management skills
- social and networking skills
- knowledge of campus and student resources
- knowledge of the local environment
- knowledge and appreciation of other cultures
- Room cost (including laundry and Internet): $743.00 (subject to change)
You can learn more about the tuition and fees associated with Summer Start as well as potential financial aid opportunities here.
How to apply for Summer Start Housing
- Information about Summer 2020 housing options coming soon.
- Summer Housing application will be available starting March 2.
- Request a preferred roommate by adding him/her to your University Housing application.
- Summer Start housing applications do not include fall/spring semesters, that is a separate application.
Find more information about preparing for the Summer Start program here!