The Summer Start program assists incoming students with the transition to NC State through five weeks of academic courses and social activities on campus. Summer Start provides students with a jump-start on their college experience while introducing them to the culture of NC State.
The Summer Start 2018 program kicks off with move-in day on Wednesday, June 20, followed by New Student and Family Orientation on Thursday, June 21-Friday, June 22. The program ends with move-out day on Wednesday, August 1. Find more information about important program dates on the Summer Start website.
Summer Start students enroll in up to eight credit hours of academic courses toward their specific major. Participants live on-campus in Tucker Hall, where evening and weekend programs are available to help develop skills important to the academic and personal success. These skills include:
Participants gain these powerful skills
- communication skills
- study skills
- leadership skills
- research processes and procedures
- critical thinking skills
- time management skills
- social and networking skills
- knowledge of campus and student resources
- knowledge of the local environment
- knowledge and appreciation of other cultures
- Room cost (including laundry and Internet): $750.00 (subject to change)
You can learn more about the tuition and fees associated with Summer Start as well as potential financial aid opportunities here.
How to apply for Summer Start Housing
- Apply for Summer Start Housing (summer session II housing) in MyPack Portal beginning May 1, 2018
- Request a preferred roommate by adding him/her to your University Housing application.
- Summer Start housing applications do not include fall/spring semesters.
Find more information about preparing for the Summer Start program here!