The Summer Start program assists incoming students with the transition to NC State through five weeks of academic courses and social activities on campus. Summer Start provides students with a jump-start on their college experience while introducing them to the culture of NC State. To learn more about the program, visit the Summer Start website.
New first-year students should expect to live on-campus during the summer start and the 2022-2023 academic year as required by the First-Year Live On Requirement.
Living on-campus, where evening and weekend programs are available, can assist participants in developing skills that are important to the academic and personal success, including:
- communication skills
- study skills
- leadership skills
- research processes and procedures
- critical thinking skills
- time management skills
- social and networking skills
- knowledge of campus and student resources
- knowledge of the local environment
- knowledge and appreciation of other cultures
- Housing costs (including laundry, streaming and resnet): $844.00 (subject to change)
You can learn more about the tuition and fees associated with Summer Start as well as potential financial aid opportunities here.
How to apply for Summer Start Housing
- Summer Start 2022 is tentatively scheduled to be housed in Tucker Hall.
- Summer Housing application is available starting March 1 in myPack portal > Campus Living > look for summer housing application in the red navigation bar.
- Please select “Summer Start” as the summer term and “Summer Start Program” as the summer plan when completing the application.
- Summer Start housing applications do not include fall/spring semesters, that is a separate application.
- Summer Start assignments will be available in mid to late May.
Find more information about preparing for the Summer Start program here!