Black Male Initiative
“Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed.”
— Booker T. Washington
Through community engagement, cultural immersion, and workshops, BMI members will:
- Be able to create individualized goals for academic and co-curricular involvement.
- Be able to identify campus resources that will be helpful to their matriculation at NC State.
- Raise their understanding of the impact of their civic engagement within the local Raleigh community.
- Be able to articulate strategies to address challenges that may arise throughout their lifetime.
- Foster a sense of community among their fellow members and at-large community.
- Develop a network of faculty/staff members.
BMI members are constantly engaged and enjoy a variety of activities, including:
- Weekly study halls
- Community Service
- University- sponsored events
- Professional Development Workshops
- Trips around North Carolina and the Country