Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible to live on campus?
All full-time NC State students may live on campus.
May I live in an on-campus apartment?
- Sophomores, juniors, seniors and graduate students may live in Wolf Ridge Apartments and Wolf Village Apartments.
- Beginning Fall 2017, first-year students may also live in the inner four buildings in Wolf Village Apartments.
- E.S. King Village serves NC State’s graduate and non-traditional undergraduate population.
- Western Manor Apartments are available for upper-class students, NC State faculty, and staff members.
Are single occupancy rooms available?
- We offer single occupancy rooms in several residence halls including Watauga, Wood and Avent Ferry.
- Wolf Ridge Apartments and Wolf Village Apartments have four single-person bedrooms per apartment.
- Single rooms are only available to students with a current housing assignment.
- The single rooms and pairs list opens in MyPack Portal 2-3 weeks after the semester begins.
Are first-year students required to live on campus?
Beginning Fall 2017, all incoming first-year students (with a few exceptions) are required to live on campus.
I am a member of the LGBTQ community. What are my on-campus options?
University Housing offers many housing options that fit a variety of needs. If you have a specific concern, please email us at email@example.com.
How do I apply for housing?
Once accepted to NC State, you may apply for housing by completing a University Housing application in MyPack Portal. Once logged in to MyPack Portal,
- Click on Student Self Services.
- From the drop down menus, choose Campus Living and Prospective Residents.
- Then click on the Housing Application link.
- Select a term and complete the University Housing application.
I was just accepted to NC State. Should I still apply for housing even if I am not sure if I am going to attend the university?
Yes. The sooner you apply for housing, the more likely you are to receive your choice of residence halls. Housing assignments are made on a first come, first-served basis. There is no penalty to cancel your housing agreement if you do not attend the university.
I was accepted into the Exploratory Studies program but the buildings I am required to live in do not show up on my University Housing application building preferences. What do I do?
You should leave the preferred building choices blank. The Village director will automatically assign you to a room in Tucker or Owen halls.
How do I add a friend as a preferred roommate on my University Housing application?
Look for the preferred roommate block on the University Housing application. Search for your roommate and then add him/her to your application. All roommate requests must be mutual, so remind your preferred roommate to accept his/her roommate request in MyPack Portal in order to complete the process. Try our custom Facebook RoomSync app. We’ll ask you a few basic questions and compare your profile with other NC State students using the app to find an on-campus roommate.
When do I find out where I have been assigned to live?
Room assignments are released in late May. You’ll receive an email from University Housing congratulating you on your assignment with instructions to view your assignment and roommate contact information in MyPack Portal.
Can I edit my University Housing application after it has been submitted?
You may edit your University Housing application after you have submitted it. However, once you have been assigned, only University Housing staff can make changes to your assignment.
I am having trouble with the online parental approval form, what should I do?
First, check for these common issues:
- The email entered does not match the email on your University Housing application.
- Your University Housing application is incomplete.
- Our system does not allow parents to manually enter the date of birth. Please use the calendar and headings instead of the arrows to fill in the birth date.
How much does it cost to live on campus?
All cost information is listed on our Costs webpage.
When are the charges posted to my student account?
For billing dates please visit https://treasurer.ofb.ncsu.edu/cashier/
Is laundry included?
Yes, laundry is included in room costs. Each residence hall and apartment offers self-serve laundry facilities.
May I sublease my current on-campus assignment?
No. Subleasing is not permitted by University Housing. If you are approved to study abroad or intern out of the area, we will suspend your housing agreement without penalty. Some restrictions apply.
How do I appeal a charge on my account?
All fee appeals are handled through the University Cashier’s Office. Follow this link for more information from University Cashier’s website.
How do I cancel my application or assignment?
Visit our Cancellations page for details about canceling your University Housing agreement.
How do I move to Greek Village?
What should I do if something is broken in my room or apartment?
Please submit a Work Order if there are any issues with your room, apartment or shared common areas.
What size are the beds?
- All double-occupancy residence hall room mattresses are extra-long twin size. (36″x80″x7″)
- All apartment mattresses are extra-long full.
Can I loft my bed?
- All residence halls have beds that can be lofted.
- Apartment beds cannot be lofted.
Does University Housing allow pets?
If your pet is a fish and fits in a 10-gallon aquarium (or less), then yes. All other pets are not allowed on campus. However, service animals are allowed for residents with a registered disability.
I locked myself out of my room, what do I do?
Visit your 24-hour service desk and you will receive a temporary key.
I lost my student ID, what should I do?
Visit the Wolfpack One Card Office in Talley Student Union.
Can I reserve a common area in my residence hall or apartment building?
Yes. Contact the Residence Director of the building where the preferred space is located for more information.
What is a roommate agreement?
All students are expected to complete the University Housing Roommate, Suite-mate or Apartment Agreement when they move in. This agreement between roommates, suitemates or apartment mates ensures that each individual’s rights are respected and that roommates have discussed their expectations while sharing a room. Clarifying expectations, talking about concerns before they develop into conflict and being willing to compromise help pave the way for successful relationships.
This agreement is by no means all-inclusive, but it can assist in establishing expectations. Individuals of the room, suite or apartment discuss each section and develop guidelines that everyone can agree on and live with for the academic year. Once completed, the terms of the agreement can be renegotiated at any time during the year with the assistance of the RA. Feel free to ask your RA for assistance if needed.
How are random room/suite/apartment mates chosen?
University Housing assigns incoming residents requesting random roommate selection based on the answers to the lifestyle questionnaire portion in the University Housing application. We try to only assign roommates with students who matches most of their questionnaire answers and is within a two-year age range.
How do I change my room?
- Students may request a room change two weeks after classes begin each semester.
- First, complete the room change request form on the University Housing Self-Service page via MyPack Portal.
I am studying abroad/withdrawing from the university. Will I be charged for canceling my housing?
No. If you cancel your housing to participate in study abroad, co-op or withdraw from the university for academic or medical reasons, you will not be charged a cancellation fee.
Who is responsible for campus and fire safety?
Campus safety is a shared responsibility. University Housing partners with University Police and Campus Fire Protection to educate and inform residents about safety issues. Each residential building is equipped with state-of-the-art smoke detection and fire suppression systems that are linked to the Campus Police office.
Does the university insure students’ belongings?
- NC State University does not endorse any individual insurance program but does encourage parents and students to make sure they have the protection they desire for student property.
- Not all homeowner’s insurance policies cover everything students bring to school. Most will provide some coverage but have limitations on certain property. Check with your insurance agent to determine what is and what is not covered under your policy and what the deductibles are for property away from your principal residence.
- For additional information regarding personal property liability, please refer to your University Housing agreement.
Are students allowed to smoke e-cigs or vapor pens inside buildings?
Vapor pens and e-cigs fall under the same regulations as cigarettes and other smoking tobacco products and are not allowed. Please reference this University Regulation on Smoking for more information.
Are hoverboard or handless scooters allowed?
Because of their combustible nature currently being investigated by U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, hoverboards and handless scooters are not allowed anywhere on campus for safety concerns. If you have any questions, please reference this page for more information.
I would like to live on campus next year. How do I renew my housing?
Residents should go through the Housing Selection process to renew their housing for the upcoming academic year. You will receive more information about Housing Selection in January for the upcoming academic year.
How do I apply for Living and Learning Villages?
Complete a University Housing application and a Village application in MyPack Portal.
Can I live in a building that hosts a Village without being a member?
You do not have to participate in a Village to live in most of our buildings with the exception of Tucker, Owen, Turlington and Alexander halls. These buildings are reserved for Village participants only.
How do I find my mailing address?
Mailing addresses are located in MyPack Portal under “View My Assignment.”
Do residence halls and apartments close for all NC State breaks?
All residence halls close during official breaks like Thanksgiving, Winter and Spring Break but our on-campus apartments do not. If you need to remain on campus during break periods, you may request break housing through Conferences and Guest Services.
What should I do if I have an accessibility request?
University Housing is dedicated to providing campus living space for students with disabilities who request ADA-accessible rooms. To assist us in accommodating your housing needs, complete the University Housing application in MyPack Portal and then register with the Disability Services Office (DSO). We make every effort to provide reasonable accommodations to students with qualified disabilities.
Once you are registered with DSO, contact the University Housing Assignments’ Office at 919.515.2440 or send us an email. Please be specific and communicate all your needs so we can ensure a positive living experience. In addition, we can consult with you in our fully accessible office and arrange for visits to the residence halls and/or apartment communities.
For more information, visit our ADA Accommodations page.