ADA Accommodations

Accessibility AccommodationsHousing for Students with Disabilities

NC State University provides equal opportunity in all of its programs, activities and services, as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and other applicable laws. Accommodations for various disabilities and chronic health conditions take time to implement. It is important that accommodation requests for pre-existing conditions be made at the time you apply for housing.

  • To assist us in accommodating your housing needs, first complete the Housing application.
  • Then register with the Disability Services Office (DSO).
  • We make every effort to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified students with disabilities.
  • Once you are registered with DSO, contact the University Housing Assignments’ Office at (919) 515-2440 or send us an email.
  • Please be specific and communicate all your needs so we can ensure a positive living experience. In addition, we can consult with you in our fully accessible office and arrange for visits to the residence halls and/or apartment communities.
  • Check the websites below for additional information:

When submitting your Housing Application, be sure to:

  • Complete the ADA section of the Housing Application.
  • Complete and submit the ADA Accommodation Wavier.
  • Attach any requested documentation.
  • Remember to include the diagnosis, functional limitations, recommendations and justification regarding accommodation needs in the documentation.
  • We will evaluate this information and consult with the University’s DSO, University Health Service, Counseling Center and/or other University departments as needed.
  • If you are registered with the DSO, you may arrange for the release of that information to University Housing. The information you provide will only be shared with other relevant staff in a discreet and confidential manner as required by law. This information will have no bearing on your general eligibility for housing.
  • Also, please note that submitting the above documentation is not a guarantee that you will receive the requested accommodations.
  • Students with disabilities are assigned roommates in the same manner as other housing applicants, unless they specifically request a single room and one is available at the time their application is processed.


  • Deaf or Hard of Hearing: A number of rooms in the residence halls and apartments have strobe light fire and smoke detector alarms.┬áResidence hall corridor bathrooms adjacent to these rooms have visual fire alarms.
  • Mobility Limitations: A number of rooms and bathrooms in the residence halls and apartments accommodate wheelchairs. North Hall and Avent Ferry Complex rooms have private bathrooms.
  • Blind or Visually Impaired: To determine the optimal campus location that can best accommodate any visual equipment that you may need, please talk with us about your needs before you submit your Housing application.Service animals are permitted in University Housing as compliant with state and federal laws regarding accessibility. In some instances, you may be asked questions about your service animal. You are responsible for your dog’s care and cleanliness.
  • Personal Care Attendants: University Housing works with students who require personal care attendants. It is solely the student’s responsibility to obtain and employ a personal care attendant. Proper planning and early notification are crucial to successful on-campus living. It is important that you include the need for a personal care attendant on the ADA section of the Housing application.To determine if a personal care attendant will be needed, the student will need to assess their skills and abilities with their medical provider, vocational rehabilitation counselor or case manager. Personal care attendants assist individuals in completing daily living skills such as grooming, personal hygiene, preparing meals, monitoring medication, maintenance of personal living environment, lifting or turning pages and transporting/escorting. In addition, the use of personal care attendants is covered by NC State REG 04.20.6 (Personal Care Attendants for Students with Disabilities). The cost and maintenance of services for a personal care attendant are the responsibility of the student. NC State University does not endorse specific health care providers.
  • Temporary Medical Conditions: Students with a temporary medical condition that affects their mobility may contact the Housing Assignment Office to discuss room reassignment options by calling 919.515.2440 or sending us an email.
  • Food Allergens: Whenever possible, University Dining works to accommodate residents’ needs in the dining halls. If you have a food allergy or require a special diet, University Dining’s registered dietitian can provide the resources and information to make healthy food choices. Foods served in the dining halls that contain potential allergens are labeled accordingly, and ingredient information is available upon request. For more information, email University Dining or call them at 919.513.5310.