See Univeristy Housing’s frequently asked questions to the COVID-19 response. If you have questions about this updated move-out process, please email University Housing at email@example.com for additional guidance.
NC State Housing will begin facilitating move-out for residents who left campus and their belongings after the university moved to online classes. Residents will be able to sign up for a specific checkout time between May 1 – 10 and physical distancing guidelines will be enforced. Residents received an email on Wednesday, April 29, with detailed instructions on the process with information about signing up for their checkout appointment.
Residents are asked to complete the Spring 2020 Closing Form, linked in the April 29 email from University Housing, to register which of the below options best fits their needs and circumstance.
If you have completely moved out and accidentally took your key with you, please mail your key(s) to University Housing as soon as possible. Keys need to be received by University Housing by the end of business on May 14, using the mailing instructions below.
Mail your key(s) to the address below using US Postal Service first class or Priority mail only. We are not currently able to accept FedEx, UPS, or DHL shipments. Please tape the key to a sturdy piece of paper (like an index card) with your name, student ID number, housing location, and contact information, before placing it in an envelope. Please send to:
University Housing – Key Return
Campus Box 7315
1112 Pullen Hall
Raleigh, NC 27695
Students who can come to campus and completely move out, please select option 2 on the Spring 2020 Closing Form and select a check out time between May 1 – May 10. Please make every effort to keep to your scheduled time. In order to practice recommended physical distancing, we are limiting the number of students/families in the buildings at one time (no more than 6 at any point). While on campus completing the move out process we ask that you:
- Bring no more than 2 people with you to help with the move out process.
- Limit the people in elevators at one time to the people helping you to move out.
- Remember to bring personal protective gear such as gloves, masks, and sanitizing wipes to aid in your safety as you move your belongings.
- Discuss your plans with your roommate/suitemates in advance in order to limit the number of people in a given space at the same time and coordinate separate move out times.
- Wash your hands frequently, use hand sanitizer, and encourage those assisting you to do the same.
- If you have a cart, handtruck, or packing bins it’s recommended that you bring those with you to assist in your move-out process. We will not have volunteers or staff available to assist you, and the availability of University Housing carts will be limited.
Express check out envelopes will be taped to your door. Insert your Housing-issued key(s) into the envelope and leave the envelope on your desk. Be sure to put your name and NC State ID number on the envelope. If you do not see the envelope taped to your door when you are ready to check out, please go to your building/area service desk to retrieve a check out envelope. If you no longer have your keys, email firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm that you have checked out and have lost/misplaced your key(s).
If you cannot return to campus to move out in the May 1 – 10 time period (due to geographical distance from NC State or you/those helping you move out are feeling unwell), packing, shipping, or storage of items is possible. We have two approved vendors that you can work with to purchase packing and shipping or storing of items. You are responsible for mailing your key(s) back to us immediately to finalize your check out; refer to mailing information in Option 1 for details on mailing back your key(s).
Move out during the stay at home order
As you are aware, we stopped the move out process on March 23 to remain consistent with the North Carolina stay at home order. We recently received updated guidance that we can now allow students to return to campus to retrieve their belongings, as long as the university and students practice physical distancing guidelines as required under the NC Governor’s Executive Order. We have taken the following steps in order to meet the guidelines:
- We are asking students to sign up for a time to return to check out and we are limiting the number of students who can sign up per move out slot to 6 per building. We are also limiting the number of people who may accompany the student into the room (2 are allowed with the student).
- Limiting the people in elevators at one time to the people helping with the student moving out.
- We ask students and those helping with their move out to bring personal protective gear such as gloves, masks, and sanitizing wipes to aid in your safety and the safety of others as you move your belongings.
- We are asking students to discuss their plans with your roommate/suitemates in advance in order to limit the number of people in a given space at the same time and coordinate separate move out times.
- We will have the bathrooms furnished with soap and paper towels so people can wash their hands frequently.
- Housekeeping will be cleaning and restocking bathrooms and wiping down high touch areas (elevator buttons, common area door handles) daily.