The world is at your doorstep in the Global Village. Are you thinking of studying abroad or wish you could study abroad? This is the best experience to prepare you for that endeavor. Residents from across the world come to reside at the Global Village. Students who live in the Global Village are interested in living and interacting with people from different backgrounds, experiences, countries and viewpoints. The community’s focus is one of global awareness, understanding and experience. The Global Village is located in Alexander Hall.
Unique Village Features
- The pairing of international students and U.S. students as roommates
- Student Ambassadors to assist in acclimating international students to U.S. Culture
- A faculty-led programming series on global and cultural issues
- Discussion programs focusing on international issues and global awareness
- A place for students to practice their language skills
- A more typical U.S. college experience for international students
- Excursions to events/sites within North Carolina, New York City and Washington D.C.
- Scholar in Residence – Meet Mamyrah Prosper
How to Apply
- Whether you are new to on-campus housing or want to transfer into the Global Village from another residence hall, you need to complete a Village Application in MyPack Portal. This application is in addition to the University Housing Application, which you must complete first.
- Once logged in to MyPack Portal, click on Student Self Services. From the drop down menus, choose University Housing and Prospective Residents. Then click on the Housing Application link. Select a term and fill out the Housing Application. Once you finish your Housing Application, then click the Village Application link under the Housing Application link in the Prospective Residents section.
- Village Applications for the fall semester open in December.
- Village Applications for the spring semester open in October.
- Once accepted into the Global Village, participants who are returning NC State students may choose spaces in the Village through the Housing Selection process.
- Global Village assignments staff members reserve the right to change your room assignment.
- We strive to pair all U.S. students with international roommates.
- Global Village residents can not have a non-Village roommate. Roommates must be a part of the Village.
Global Village Requirements
- Be an active participant within the Global Village Community.
- Participate in a minimum of five hall programs each semester.
- Attend the Global Village Orientation before school begins in the fall.
- Complete five hours of volunteer service each semester.
- Remain in good academic standing with the University (minimum 2.0 GPA)
- Abide by the Student Code of Conduct, University Housing rules and Community Standards.
- Note: Priority is given to CHASS majors
*These requirements are subject to change. Participants will be notified if a change occurs.
Global Village FAQs
Living in Global Village is a unique and diverse experience. Many current and incoming students have questions about what it is like to live in Global Village and some of the expectations for residents. Here are some of our most frequently asked questions:
How does Global Village benefit me? Global Village is a great place for you to join a diverse community. It allows you to make connections with people from around the globe. In our global economy it is great to have friends and a network all over the world. It also provides you with a marketing tool for your resume. You will also gain cultural awareness if you chose to Live, Play, Study, WorkAbroad.
Should I join the Global Village if I am an incoming first-year student? Global Village traditionally has residents who are older in age. Many exchange and international students do come to NC State as sophomores or above. You may be paired with a roommate who is older than you. First-Year students are still welcome and encouraged in the community. Please keep the age difference in mind when applying to the Village.
How does roommate pairing work? We try our best to accommodate everyone and provide each student with the experience they want. In the Global Village application we ask what countries you are interested in learning from. We do our best to match residents based on country interest. We also do our best to match students based on the 3 primary living questions filled out in your Housing Application. However, preferences are not guaranteed.
When do I move in to Alexander Hall? Global Village allows residents, both domestic and international, to move in early, typically 2 to 3 days before the official Move-In Dates. Early move-in days allow residents to attend Global Village Orientation. This is an opportunity for both domestic and international students to connect and build friendships before the school year begins.
Can I drink Alcohol in Alexander? Alexander Hall is not a dry residence hall. However, residents must 21 years old or older to consume alcohol. Alcohol should only be consumed in a resident rooms where both roommates are 21 years old or older. No under-age drinking is allowed in the residence hall.
Global Village Director
Community Director, Alexander Hall