The Scholars Village is located in Sullivan Hall and is open to first and second year University Scholars participants. University Scholars come from a variety of academic and cultural backgrounds. Life in the Scholars Village centers on a wide range of social, cultural and educational activities, all designed to to help University Scholars become active, informed and engaged citizens who impact our campus and community.
Life in the Scholars Village
Every Scholars Village resident participates in a Village in Action (VIA) group comprised of approximately 20 of their neighbors on the same floor and an upper-class Scholars Village Resident Advisor (RA). Examples of previous VIA group activities include:
- exploring Raleigh’s outdoor and green spaces on hikes or paddles
- experiencing the visual and performing arts at local museums and theatres
- impacting the community through hands on service projects with local community organizations
- engaging with important contemporary issues through discussion and debate
In short, life in the Scholars Village immediately connects students to one another, to their new community and to new ideas.
Scholars Village residents also enjoy the following benefits:
- Immediate access to University Scholars Program staff located in 102 Sullivan Hall
- Participating in a smaller community that promotes academic excellence and a diversity of viewpoints
- State of the art computer lab and multimedia classroom in Sullivan Hall
- close proximity to Fountain Dining Hall
- Complimentary copies of the New York Times
- Access to West Campus Tri-Village activities, including a Welcome Dinner, End of Year Picnic, tutoring services and various trips
- Priority registration for USP Cultural and Outdoor Explorations trips, like our past trips to Portugal, Morocco, coastal kayaking and sailing
To live in the Village, students must first be admitted to the University Scholars Program. Interested students will then be invited to join the Village and must fill out a Housing Application and Village application in MyPack Portal. To learn more about participating in the University Scholars Program, visit the USP website.
See what our residents are saying about life in the Scholars Village:
“Living in the Scholars Village introduced me to a group of people who shared similar interests, who I might not have met otherwise. It was incredible to be surrounded by like-minded people who shared the same passion for learning.” — Valerie Nelson
“Living in the Scholars Village my freshman year provided me with a great opportunity to meet other like-minded individuals — who see the value in academics, cultural exploration and having fun. In fact, four years later, my current roommate was one of my suitemates and VIA group members from my year in the Scholars Village.” – Stephen Klingman
“One of the best decisions I made was living in the Scholars Village my Freshman year. It was great to live with people who were just as dedicated to their school work and learning as I was, but who also loved to explore new opportunities through the program.” – Lindsay Richardson
Sarah Beth May
Assistant Director, University Scholars Program