Sisterhood Inspiring Social Change
- Apply to the WOW Village by submitting a village application after submitting a housing application in MyPack Portal
The Women of Welch (WOW) Village supports, empowers, connects and develops female leaders at NC State. The WOW Village focuses on empowerment, leadership, self-awareness, diversity and social justice. The WOW community develops you into an empowered campus leader while challenging you to act as a citizen of the global community.
“Life in the WOW Village is being able to walk down the hall and find a supportive group of strong women who inspire you daily.” — Brianna, WOW member
Life on Campus
- Enjoy the comfort of a close-knit community nestled in the only all-female residence hall on campus.
- Enjoy dinners with special guests that have included an OBGYN, a nutritionist, academic advisors, and high profile female professionals from campus and beyond.
- Enjoy activities on the hall. Past examples include a spa night with a skin care professional, a Pinterest party with D.I.Y. aromatherapy sugar scrub, and a monogram painting party where women discussed whether or not they would take their future spouse’s name if they marry—and why.
- You’ll be paired with a professional mentor that can help you navigate things like resumes and internship searches.
- Develop relationships with the advisory board, which consists of female administrators and faculty members from University Housing, Women and Gender Studies, Grounds and Fleet Services, the Women’s Center and the School of Public and International Affairs.
- Enjoy close proximity to academic buildings that include SAS, Poe, Brooks, Kamphoefner, Park Shops, Leazar, Caldwell, Page, Tompkins and Winston.
Out on the Town
WOW makes the most of what Raleigh has to offer. In recent years, our adventures have included:
- a body positivity photoshoot in the JC Raulston Arboretum.
- Sunday afternoon matinees at local theaters followed by discussions at unique Raleigh eateries.
- girls night out at the roller derby.
- plays like Stick Fly at Raleigh Little Theater.
- swanky dinners for important organizations like Women AdvaNCe.
Make a Difference
- Enroll in a common section of Women & Gender studies (WGS) 200 in the Fall 2016 semester to take your knowledge of women’s issues to the next level—and then plan with your peers on the best ways you can collaborate to put that wisdom into practice.
- Serve as a mentor and answer questions about college life for students at Wake Young Women’s Leadership Academy.
- Help clean and organize donated goods for deserving families at Green Chair Project once a semester.
- Volunteer at annual Women’s Center events that include the Chocolate Festival and Take Back the Night.
Travel with WOW
- New York City: Together, we’ve toured the NYC headquarters of major organizations like Girls on the Run, GLSEN, and Hollaback! We celebrated the rich culture of the city by hitting a play on Broadway and a feminist art exhibit. We explored what all the various boroughs had to offer to provide a Spring Break trip our women would never forget.
- Washington, D.C.: Do you value your right to vote? So do our women—which is why they were in awe when they learned about the history of women’s suffrage in the very building where the National Woman’s Party was founded. While we were in the city, we also got in some laughs at the Washington Improv Theater, explored museums, and met with D.C. power players. We topped it all off with a networking event led by professionals at the American Association of University Women.
- Asheville, N.C.: The view we took in as we zip lined through the Blue Ridge tree tops was exhilarating. An empowering weekend spent exploring women’s issues helped us feel capable of staring down our fears as we committed to flying for nearly a mile through the fresh mountain air.