Skip to main content

Break and Transition Housing

University Housing is committed to providing housing to current residents during all academic breaks and transitionary periods.

Winter Break Housing – 2023/2024

University Housing provides students with the option to remain in campus housing during the intersession period between the end of the fall semester and the start of the spring semester. Residents who need to remain on campus for any length of time between Dec. 17, 2023 and Jan. 4, 2024 must request Winter Break Housing. This includes residents who are currently residing in residence halls, Wolf Village, Wolf Ridge and ES King Buildings A, B, C, D and O. Residents of other buildings at ES King Village or residents of Western Manor Apartments are not required to request break housing and are exempt from additional charges for remaining during the break, unless they will not be continuing in their same location for the spring semester.

The deadline to submit winter break housing requests is December 4 at 5 p.m.

Eligibility for Winter Break Housing

Students currently in housing and who will remain in University Housing facilities for the spring semester are eligible.

Students currently in housing and who will be enrolled in the spring semester, but do not plan to live in University Housing facilities for the spring semester, are eligible but must check out by 5 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 2.


The cost for Winter Break Housing in 2023-24 is $270 and covers the period between the end of the fall semester and the start of the spring semester. Pre-approval for Winter Break Housing and the break housing charge is required for all residents staying for the break, including residents in Wolf Ridge, Wolf Village and the A, B, C, D and O Buildings of E.S. King Village, regardless of the length of time you stay on campus during this date range. The charge for Winter Break Housing will be billed directly to the student’s account for the spring semester.

Residents remaining for Winter Break

**If you have a bicycle, University Police suggests storing it in your residence hall room or apartment during the break due to low occupancy on campus.**

  • If you are living in the same assignment for the spring:
    • Your access will remain current for your building; you do not need to do anything else.
  • If you are moving to a different space for the spring semester:
    • You will remain in your current space for the first several days of the break and will need to complete your move to your new space on Wednesday, Dec. 20, by 5 p.m. Please plan to pick up your new key between noon – 2 p.m. You will move into your spring assignment and return the key to your current space on this date. More information will be sent to residents in this situation.
  • Services for residents remaining on campus during Winter Break:
    • Service Desks will be open on a limited basis so students can continue to receive mail and packages over the break. Desks will be closed on days the university is closed.
    • University Housing RAs and professional staff will be available to provide support for residents during Winter Break.
    • NC State Dining will have limited dining operations over Winter Break. If you have any questions, contact NC State Dining through the Wolfpack One Card office at or by calling 919-515-3090.
    • Student Health Services will be open until Dec. 22 and will reopen the week of Jan. 3. Go to for hours and appointments.

Summer Transition Housing – TBA

There are three options available for students living in on-campus summer housing acccomodations.

Option 1 – Check out of Summer II Housing

You can move out when Summer Session II ends on August 3 by 10 a.m. This involves removing all of your personal items from your Summer II assignment and returning the key(s) to your community service desk. If you are returning to on-campus housing for the fall term, you will move into your fall assignment during opening weekend by scheduling an appointment to check-in between August 18-21.

Option 2 – Move to Transition Housing

You can move into Transition Housing in Owen or Tucker Halls.  Transition Housing is available for students with a current Summer II housing assignment who also have a housing assignment for the Fall 2022 semester.  This option is available for:

  1. Students who wish to remain on campus or come/go from campus between August 3-15, and/or
  2. Students who wish to store personal belongings on campus between August 3-15

The cost for Transition Housing period is $180 and is the same whether you remain on campus or just plan to store personal belongings. 

Students opting for Transition Housing will be expected to check out of summer housing and into a space in Tucker or Owen Halls by 10:00 AM on Wednesday, August 3.  Please be advised that by choosing this option, you will be required to move out of Transition Housing and into your fall assignment on Monday, August 15 by 10:00 AM; please make your plans accordingly since move out of Transition Housing cannot be extended.  This includes students who store personal belongings.  If items are not moved out of student rooms by 10:00 AM on Monday, August 15, those items will be discarded. 

Option 3 – Remain in your Current/Fall Assignment

If you are currently living in the same assignment you will have for fall, you may remain in your space during the period between Summer II and Fall 2022 move-in if you choose to take advantage of Transition Housing. You will not have to move to Owen or Tucker Hall. If you stay in housing and/or leave your items in your current/fall assignment, you will be charged $180 for the Transition Housing period. This includes if you live in a graduate space in Wolf Ridge Apartments.