Skip to main content
Residents and families move belongings from residence hall.

Move-Out Information

Learn more about our procedures for moving out of residence halls and apartments.

Spring 2024 Closing Dates/Times

  • Non-graduating students (undergraduate, graduate and PhD) are expected to check out of University Housing within 24 hours after your last exam or no later than 10:00 a.m. on Thursday, May 2, 2024.  Whichever comes first.  If you have a need to be in housing past this date and time you must submit a Late Stay Request.  The deadline to submit late stay requests is April 23.
  • Graduating students and those approved to assist with graduation exercises must plan to check out of University Housing by 10:00 a.m. on May 5, 2024.

Check-out Options – Spring 2024

There are two ways for residents to check out of housing for the spring semester.

  • Express check-out – by doing express check-out you are waiving the right to appeal any damage charges, or
  • Check out with a staff member by making an appointment with your Resident Advisor

General Check-out Instructions

  1. Pick up all mail and packages from your community’s service desk before leaving campus.
  2. Return all temporary keys/fobs or loaned equipment to your community’s service desk.
  3. Clean your room and common areas, including wiping down appliances, drawers, shelves, closets and cabinets.
  4. Remove all personal belongings from your room and common areas before checking out. There is a charge for any personal items not removed.
  5. Be sure to check laundry rooms and lounges for any missing items. University Housing is not responsible for items left behind after you check out.
  6. Discard all trash in the exterior dumpsters and recycle bins. Note that in high rise buildings, the trash chutes may be closed during peak move-out periods. Plan to discard trash in containers located outside your building. Leaving trash in your room may result in an improper check-out fee being charged to your student account.
  7. Leave the empty trash and recycling bins, furniture and other university property in the room.
  8. Report any maintenance concerns or damages using the online work order system.
  9. Close and lock all windows; clean out your microfridge (but do not unplug it); set room thermostats to 70 degrees (set to “Cool” during the spring and “Heat” during the winter) or to the mid-setting with the fan on low speed.
  10. Turn off all lights and close and lock all doors.
  11. To avoid lock recore charges, you must return all key(s) to your area service desk before departure. We are not able to accept keys returned by mail or in person after official closing.
  12. If needed, obtain a free Move-Out Virtual Loading Permit on the Transportation Website.

Summer Housing

The summer 2024 housing application is available soon. If you are a current NC State student and will be taking summer school classes, doing a summer internship or a summer co-op, you can apply for summer housing in Wolf Ridge or Wolf Village.  The application is available in the online housing portal titled Summer Housing Application.  

Transition Housing

If you are in need of transition housing we need you to complete a short form (coming soon) so we can continue your ID access during the transition period.  In order to be eligible for transition housing you must have a current spring housing assignment and have an on-campus housing assignment for summer 1.  If you request transition housing, your student account will be billed the $120 transition housing fee which will be charged to your summer bill.  The deadline to request transition housing is the close of business on Tuesday, April 23.

Residents in transition housing must be prepared to move into their summer assignment and out of transition housing by 10 a.m. on May 13. Anything not removed from transition housing by 10 a.m. will be considered abandoned property and discarded.

Students and family members may park in residential parking zones with a temporary move-out loading permit. Please register your license plate online for a temporary loading permit using the steps found on the Transportation website    Registering for a loading permit will allow you to park temporarily in residential zones adjacent to University Housing buildings or in specifically reserved move-out loading zones.  

  • Sweep/vacuum the floor (including under furniture), take all trash and recycling to the dumpsters and remove all personal belongings. Some limited cleaning supplies and equipment (brooms, vacuums, etc.) may be available for short-term use from your community’s service desk.
  • Don’t dump unwanted belongings — participate in NC State’s Wolf Pack-N-Give! Unopened, non-perishable food items may be left in collection bins near each service desk to support the Feed the Pack Food Pantry.
  • Leave your room or apartment thermostats on the low fan setting, set to either mid-range (if you have dots on your dial) or at 70 degrees Fahrenheit (if your thermostat has specific
  • numbers).
  • Residence halls: clean out the refrigerator/microwave unit, but do not unplug micro-fridges.
  • Apartments: clean the stove, oven, microwave, refrigerator and bathrooms. Both bathrooms, living room and kitchen are considered common areas; everyone is responsible for ensuring they are clean before checking out.

If you have lost your key, notify your community’s service desk immediately. If you take your key home following the move-out, immediately notify the residence life coordinator for your community. Keys not returned at the time of check-out will result in a lock re-core and subsequent charges to your student account.

University Housing does not provide storage for personal belongings after move-out and closing of residential spaces. If you accidentally leave an item behind, immediately contact the residence life coordinator for your community. While we can make an attempt to locate your belongings, University Housing assumes no liability for the loss, damage or theft of personal items. University Housing is also not responsible for shipping items to you if they have been left behind. Lost-and-found items will be donated following the end of the semester.

If you are staying on campus for the next academic term (i.e.: spring to summer or fall to spring) but have a different campus address, your address will be updated in the system and your mail should be forwarded. You should update your addresses with those who send you mail (businesses, employers, banks, family members, etc.) to avoid delays in receiving mail.

If you are not remaining on campus (i.e.: moving home for the summer, participating in study abroad, etc.), you should update your mailing address information in MyPack Portal and select “Contact Information” under the “Personal Information” header. You should also update your addresses with those who send you mail (businesses, employers, banks, family members, etc.) to avoid delays in receiving mail. University Housing cannot forward mail to you. First-class mail received after your departure will be returned to the sender. Any items deemed to be “junk mail” (including magazines or presorted standard mail) will be recycled.

Please be advised that the last day that service desks will accept packages for spring residents is May 1. Packages that are not picked up by the final closing date of the semester will be returned to sender.

If you require a stay past the published closing date/time, whether at the end of the fall semester, spring semester, or summer session, you must submit the Late Stay Request no later than the last day of classes. Requests to stay past the published closing date/time will not be considered if received after the last day of class.

University Housing does not offer any options for storing belongings over the summer or between academic semesters; however, there are several storage unit facilities in the vicinity of NC State’s campus. All of your personal items must be completely removed from your space for the summer, even if you are assigned to the same room for the next academic year (unless you are living there during the full summer session). The same is true if you will be moving from one room in the fall semester to a different room in the spring semester; all items must be removed from your fall space before the winter break.

Information is available on the University Housing website under Summer Housing. The application for summer housing is typically available in early March via MyPack Portal.