Skip to main content

Accommodations (DRO)

University Housing seeks to provide a safe, secure and comfortable environment for students.

University Housing seeks to provide a safe, secure and comfortable environment in which students can be academically successful and socially involved and engaged. In order to do so, we understand that some students may need disability-related accommodations or special considerations to ensure a great experience while at NC State.

Disability Related Requests

NC State University provides equal opportunity in all of its programs, activities and services, as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and other applicable laws. Accommodations for various disabilities and chronic health conditions take time to implement. It is important that accommodation requests for pre-existing conditions be made at the time of application for housing.

Submitting Your Request

  • Complete your University Housing application.
  • Register with Disability Resource Office (DRO). You should not send University Housing any medical documentation.
  • If you are registered with the DRO, you may arrange for the release of provided information to University Housing. The information you provide will only be shared with other relevant staff on a need to know basis as required by law. This information will have no bearing on your general eligibility for housing.
  • Neither the presence of a disability nor approval for a housing accommodation guarantees on-campus housing or a specific roommate.

Service and Assistance Animal Information

University Housing strives to comply with section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended by the ADA Amendments Act of 2008 (ADA), the Fair Housing Act, and other applicable federal and state regulations that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. We are committed to providing equal access to housing for all students living on campus with qualifying disabilities. True to our mission to create inclusive communities, University Housing permits service and assistance animals in all residential facilities. To qualify for an service or assistance animal, you must:

If the request is approved, University Housing will contact the student to review the policies and responsibilities of the animal owner.

If the request is denied, the student may appeal the decision to the Office for Institutional Equity and Diversity. Students will receive notification on how to file an appeal when the decision is made.

Upon approval of the animal, University Housing will notify the resident’s roommate, suitemates and/or apartment mates, and the appropriate University departments including but not limited to disability services, Campus Police, and Campus Fire Marshall.

Residents with a medical condition or aversion to animals (e.g. allergies, asthma, respiratory conditions, zoophobia, etc.) should contact University Housing if living in close proximity to a service / assistance animal.

University Housing will make reasonable accommodations when necessary for residents with medical conditions affected by living in close proximity to service / assistance animal as may be required by applicable law.

Other Special Consideration Requests

University Housing also reviews special considerations that may not be covered by disability-related requests. Some examples of special considerations might include assignments that take into consideration religious reasons, temporary medical conditions, sexual orientation/gender identity and/or financial hardship.

Submitting Your Request

Additional policies, rights and responsibilities information.